The summer transfer window might not be open yet in Europe, but teams are getting ready for it, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling around. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings, goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Chelsea prepare talks for PSG’s Neymar
The 31-year-old notched 18 goals and 17 assists in 29 appearances across all competitions this season, but injuries and the club’s desire to offload several high-profile names, could see PSG part ways with the Brazil international.
The report suggests the club will seek a “good” price for Neymar’s transfer, who signed for a world-record fee of €222 million from Barcelona in the summer of 2017.
Chelsea suffered a disappointing campaign, finishing 12th in the Premier League, and new manager Mauricio Pochettino is eyeing up several high-profile names ahead of next season. Pochettino is no stranger to Neymar, having managed the winger during his stint as PSG manager during the 2021-22 season.
Since the arrival of Todd Boehly as the club’s co-owner last summer, Chelsea have spent over €600m. But with the likes of Mason Mount and Kai Havertz linked with moves, there could be room to sign Neymar.
11.58 BST: Former Real Sociedad midfielder Asier Illarramendi is set to join LAFC, sources have told ESPN.
Illarramendi, 33, was released by his boyhood club earlier this week and a move to MLS has always been his priority. He’s now set to link up with striker Carlos Vela, a former teammate at the Spanish club, when he signs as a free agent.
Sources said the midfielder — who was signed by Real Madrid in 2013 before moving back to Real Sociedad two years later — had offers from Mexico and the Middle East but has opted for MLS. Negotiations are well advanced with only minor details to sort before an announcement is made.
11.44 BST: Gerard Pique says he doesn’t understand how Barcelona are still having financial problems if his salary was supposed to be one of the big problems.
Pique, along with former teammates Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba, was singled out as one of the reasons why Barca had such a big wage bill and were unable to invest in new signings in recent years.
However, despite Pique, Busquets and Alba all leaving the club, Barca are still exceeding their LaLiga-imposed spending limit and, as explained by ESPN on Tuesday, are currently only allowed to spend 40% of any savings they make or income they generate.
“I was happy to step aside and help Barcelona with salary space,” Pique said of his retirement from professional football on the Kings League’s Twitch channel. “It makes me laugh now though because we [Pique, Busquets and Alba] have all gone and we still have this fair play issue. Who else has to leave?
“In theory, we were the cause of [the financial problems] with our salaries. We have all gone. We are no longer there… and they still can’t sign players.”
Barca’s spending limit this season, after selling off club assets, was over €650m. However, it is expected to be reduced to €400m for the 2023-24 campaign.
The Catalan club still harbour hopes of bringing Lionel Messi back to the club, but those financial problems are proving a major hurdle, with the Argentine also weighing up offers from Inter Miami and Al Hilal.
11.00 BST: AC Milan are closely monitoring Chelsea winger Christian Pulisic, according to Sky Italia.
The Rossoneri want to strengthen their attack and Pulisic is on their list of potential candidates. The United States international has one year left on his contract with Chelsea but is set to be placed on the transfer list this summer, with sources telling ESPN’s Mark Ogden that Juventus are leading the race.
Milan, Manchester United, Newcastle United and Napoli all have been approached with details on the transfer fee and wage structure required to conclude a deal for Pulisic. Additional sources have told ESPN that Atletico Madrid also hold an interest in him.
A knee injury limited Pulisic this past season, with the former Borussia Dortmund star playing 1,012 minutes in 30 appearances.
Why Newcastle United makes sense for Christian Pulisic
James Olley suggests Newcastle United as a smart potential destination for USMNT star Christian Pulisic.
10.16 BST: Brazilian FA president Ednaldo Rodrigues says he hasn’t “thrown in the towel yet” regarding his hope of signing Real Madrid’s Carlo Ancelotti as coach of the national team.
“I think we made a plan, this plan A is exactly what you know, which is Ancelotti, and, as they say in the ring, I haven’t thrown in the towel yet,” Rodrigues told Globo. “It [Ancelotti’s statement saying he will stay at Real Madrid until 2024] didn’t come as a surprise.
“We know that there are situations where, because of contracts, people are also careful not to be doing something that could bring dissatisfaction to their employer, and vice versa. I also intend, after some meetings in Europe, when I return to inform you all of what is possible in our plan with Ancelotti, or what is not possible, so that, from there, I can start with a plan B.”
09.40 BST: Angel Di Maria has bade farewell to Juventus after one season in Turin.
Di Maria, 35, scored eight goals in 40 appearances for the Bianconeri. But the former Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain and Man United winger leaves as a free agent after not renewing his contract.
A World Cup winner with Argentina, Di Maria wrote on social media: “I have reached the end of a difficult and complicated stage. I’m leaving with the peace of mind of someone who gave everything to help the club continue to win titles, but it wasn’t possible. I leave with the bitter taste of not succeeding, but with the happiness of bringing with me many friends of this wonderful locker room of which I was a part.”
09.03 BST: Real Madrid’s Lucas Vazquez is Juventus’ preferred choice to strengthen their right-back position, according to Sky Italia.
Vazquez, 31, has one year left on his contract and recently completed his eighth season at Madrid, where he scored four goals in 30 appearances. But he is considering his options.
Juve have already contacted Vazquez to express their interest in signing him this summer.
08.30 BST: Karim Benzema‘s surprise exit from Real Madrid, headed for Saudi Arabian club Al Ittihad on a free transfer, could well create a ripple effect as several elite teams are looking for strikers.
What might Madrid do, and what will it mean for everyone else? Ryan O’Hanlon assesses what could happen in soccer’s summer transfer window.
Kirkland: Real Madrid have to act fast to replace Benzema
Alex Kirkland reacts to Real Madrid’s confirmation of Karim Benzema’s departure from the club this summer.
– Aston Villa have been offered the chance to sign Atletico Madrid forward Joao Felix, reports Football Insider. The 23-year-old spent the second half of the season on loan at Chelsea, but the club have reportedly turned down the opportunity to sign the Portugal international permanently. That leaves Felix in an uncertain position, with Atleti keen to offload the forward after a falling out with manager Diego Simeone. Villa are said to be in the market for attacking reinforcements this summer, as manager Unai Emery looks to add to his squad as he tries to balance domestic competition with the Europa Conference League.
– Tottenham Hotspur are weighing up a move for Manchester United defender Harry Maguire, per the Daily Mail. Newly appointed Spurs manager Ange Postecoglou is said to be an admirer of the England international, who will be allowed to depart Old Trafford this summer. The north London outfit are keen to bolster their defensive ranks ahead of next season, and while Maguire is not desperate to leave United, the 30-year-old is open to a move in a bid to secure first-team action.
– PSG are set to battle it out with Premier League clubs to secure the services of midfielder Adrien Rabiot, according to Rudy Galetti. The 28-year-old will be out of contract at the end of the month, with the France international not signing an extension with Juventus. PSG have identified midfield as an area that needs improvement, having also been linked with Sporting CP‘s Manuel Ugarte. Other clubs interested in Rabiot include Manchester United, who tried to sign the player last summer but a deal could not be agreed.
– Brighton are preparing a new £40m offer for defender Levi Colwill after having their £30m approach rebuffed by Chelsea, according to Fabrizio Romano. The England youth international spent last season on loan with the Seagulls, where the 20-year-old impressed, helping them secure Europa League qualification. Romano suggests that Chelsea have no plans to part ways with Colwill, and view the youngster as integral to their long-term project.
– Saudi emissaries will present an official proposal to midfielder N’Golo Kante worth up to €100m, according to Fabrizio Romano. The 32-year-old is out of contract with Chelsea at the end of the month, and while the France international would prefer to stay in west London, talks over a new deal have long stalled. Romano reveals that both Al Ittihad and Al Nassr are interested in securing the services of Kante, where he’ll join the league’s other big name stars like Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema.
LIVE Transfer Talk: Chelsea prepare talks for PSG’s Neymar